Saturday, June 5, 2010

Tennis

As an avid follower of tennis, I was up at 7:00 am to watch the woman's final at Roland Garros. This was an unprecedented final, which Francesca Schiavone of Italy won in her first ever final appearance. Formally ranked 17th in the world, she will now, I believe, move to 6th, while her opponent, Sam Stosur of Australia, will remain at 7th. Whatever their rankings will be, these two went out there with a lot to prove, and I see the final appearance as a victory for both.

I bring this up not only because I love tennis, but because Sam Stosur has the most excellent physique. She is strong and lean, and all this after a battle with Lyme Disease.


Sam Stosur is my inspiration. While I will probably never achieve the physique of an incredibly fit professional tennis player, I want her strength and perseverance to be my guide. With this in mind, I have spent the morning registering for a tennis clinic here in Boulder. For the next four weeks, every Tuesday and Thursday evening will be devoted to improving my tennis skills. While this is not a full on fitness program by any means, it is a start, and it is a reason to maintain my fitness.

No comments:

Post a Comment